DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — As the government shutdown continues and Congress remains divided, the American people are united on one front: they disapprove of Congress.
A recent poll by Public Policy Polling illustrates just how deeply the disapproval goes.
While just 8 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, a number of other items are viewed more favorably.
According to the poll, Americans currently have a higher opinion of the DMV (54/28), jury duty (73/18), health issues like hemorrhoids (53/31), and even witches (46/32).
“Previously, we found that Congress was very unpopular, but 8 percent — if I’m not mistaken — is a new low for us,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “Usually we’ve been finding them at least up to 10 percent.”
While the results are largely negative for Congress, registered voters identified a number of public figures who were more disliked than the legislating body.
Former U.S. Representative Anthony Weiner (50/23), Vladimir Putin (49/28), Charles Manson (56/18), Honey Boo Boo (42/33) and Miley Cyrus (36/31) all had less favorable ratings. Even ‘twerking’ came up four points short of Congress (37/33).
While Debnam acknowledges that some people may have been half-joking with their answers, it does reveal that few Americans truly approve of the work Congress is doing — particularly during the shutdown.
“Voters would at least rather deal with Congress than get a disease like the Ebola virus, so Congress has that going for it.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Firefighters Battle 2-Alarm Blaze At Fort Worth Apartments
- ‘Get What You Get’ With Tattoo Vending Machine
- Grand Prairie Police Department Explains SB4 To Community
- Disabled Woman Turned Away From Handicap Dressing Room
- Teen Believed To Have Drowned In Trinity River
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures