Reporting Brian New
WEST, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) - Nearly six month after the fertilizer plant explosion in West, more than $3.6-million in private donations will finally be distributed to needy families.
The non-profit, West Long Term Recovery, will begin this week deciding who will be receiving the funds.
“The need is just so incredibly great,” said Pastor John Crowder, one of the board members of the non-profit.
Crowder said the $3.6-million will barely even begin to cover the estimated $30-million in unmet needs in West.
“It’s very frustrating knowing that we are not going to be able to do as much as we would like to do,” he said.
Crystal Anthony lost her home in the explosion. She had insurance but it hasn’t been enough to rebuild.
“I’m one of those that are considered under-insured,” she said. “I had more insurance than my home was valued for but I still had a mortgage.”
Without a house, Anthony and her teenage daughter are living in a RV and a storage shed converted into a living area.
Anthony, who would be eligible for some of the Long Term West Recovery money, has decided not to apply.
She said there are too many stipulations. The West native said she was told she would have to take out a Small Business Administration disaster loan in order to qualify to receive any of the donated money.
The West Long Term Recovery board said due to limited funds, it wants to make sure applicants exhaust all other resources first.
Anthony said she may not like the stipulations but she understands why the board has set certain rules and regulations.
She said for saving the money on their own to rebuild is what’s best for her family, although; she admits it will make the road to recovery even longer.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Oncor Targets Late Sunday For Full Power Restoration
- Ice Challenges Crews Fighting Dallas Fire
- 1 Dead After Truck Falls Into Lake Lewisville
- Ice Storm Delays Continue At DFW Airport
- Baylor Men Upset Kentucky 67-62
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures