ODESSA (AP) – A West Texas high school student has been arrested after authorities say he was found in a classroom with two loaded handguns and ammunition in his backpack.
Ector County schools spokesman Mike Adkins says police are trying to determine why the 16-year-old boy brought the weapons to Permian High School in Odessa on Wednesday.
He says a school administrator was tipped off by a student about the armed sophomore, who was found in class and taken to the Ector County youth detention center, charged with three counts of having a weapon in a prohibited place.
The discovery of the weapons did not prompt a lockdown of the school, which has about 2,300 students.
No other information was available as school district police were in the early stages of their investigation.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Beltre Hits 2nd Homer In 9th, Rallies Rangers Past A’s 7-6
- “Silent March” Planned For Downtown Dallas Friday
- After Turmoil Sanders, Mrs Obama, Warren Thrill Convention
- Hacker Targets Woman’s Amazon Account
- Rowlett Tornado Victim Displays His Anger With Insurance Company
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures