ODESSA (AP) – A West Texas high school student has been arrested after authorities say he was found in a classroom with two loaded handguns and ammunition in his backpack.
Ector County schools spokesman Mike Adkins says police are trying to determine why the 16-year-old boy brought the weapons to Permian High School in Odessa on Wednesday.
He says a school administrator was tipped off by a student about the armed sophomore, who was found in class and taken to the Ector County youth detention center, charged with three counts of having a weapon in a prohibited place.
The discovery of the weapons did not prompt a lockdown of the school, which has about 2,300 students.
No other information was available as school district police were in the early stages of their investigation.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- University Park Police Looking For Thief Seen In Viral Chase Video
- Ibaka, DeRozan Lead Raptors Past Mavericks 94-86
- Second Time In 3 Months Hulen Mall Has Been Locked Down
- Oregon Tops Kansas 74-60 To Advance To First Final Four In 78 Years
- Keating Wins Runoff Election For Frisco City Council Position
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures