FLOWER MOUND (CBSDFW.COM) – On Saturdays, in various parks around DFW, Tammy Kling of Flower Mound helps homeless kids rewrite their futures. The 39-year-old wife and mother of two is a ghostwriter by trade. She has authored more than 100 books, and many of them became bestsellers.
But on weekends, when passing out free books and journals to children and gang members, Kling is a teacher and encourager, helping kids in difficult circumstances understand the power of words.
“As you go through every day in life,” Kling explained, “you have to make a decision about what you’ll say to other people — and words you’ll allow into your mind and into your heart. Words change lives.”
“You can write down what you want to be. You want to be first girl president of the U.S. — you write it down,” Kling preached to the children. “Anything you want to do, you can do. Anything you want to be, you can be.”
Angela Brewster said that she loves attending Kling’s workshops. She now too volunteers to help others on Saturdays. “She changed my life by reading,” said Brewster. “I didn’t like to read. But now I read a lot.”
Brewster believes that it is important to “think positive,” and she takes Kling’s inspirational messages to heart.
“Anything you want to do is possible. Don’t ever think negative.”
Kling’s efforts to help the homeless extend to her business as well. The Writer’s Group hires homeless men and women to transcribe audio files from clients. Kling described the process. “So, they come out of homeless shelter, go to library, transcribe the document, email it back, and I can turn it into a chapter,” she said.
Kling said that it is her ministry to help hurting people write and journal their emotions — her way of helping change the world, one story at a time.
Click here to email Kling for more information about the Open Air Homeless Ministry.
- North Texas Man Gets Surprise In Mail Box From A ‘Secret Santa’
- Former Arlington Lamar Football Coach Eddy Peach Passes Away At 76
- AP Source: Giants Agree To Trade Matt Moore To Rangers
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: Can Cowboys Win A Must-Win?
- Long-Serving North Texas Hospital Shutting Down
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures