FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A Fort Worth woman who admitted to choking her child to death has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.
Janice Anthony, 20, initially told police that her 3-year-old daughter Paris had fallen down the stairs, after the little girl was found dead in Anthony’s apartment more than one year ago.
But the medical examiner’s office later determined Paris died from strangulation.
Anthony eventually admitted that she had choked the child often, including the night before she was found dead. Anthony also admitted that she spanked and punched Paris daily for using the bathroom on herself and not doing what she was told.
In exchange for a guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to a 35-year prison term for Anthony.
“While she was unarguably a bad mother, the defendant wanted to take responsibility for causing the death of her child,” said Prosecutor Alana Minton. “After reviewing all of the circumstances of the case, we believe that justice was served today.”
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Restaurants Prep For Hungry Thanksgiving Diners
- After Armed Protest At Mosque, Group Posts Names & Addresses Of Muslims
- Your Guide To A Perfect Sports-Filled Thanksgiving
- North Texans Flock To Airport, Fly Home For Thanksgiving
- Retail Expert Says “Bleak Friday” Isn’t Worth It
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures