LUBBOCK (AP) — Texas Tech could be bowl eligible at the earliest date in five years if it beats Iowa State on Saturday.
In his first season as coach of the No. 20 Red Raiders, Kliff Kingsbury might equal what his former coach did in 2008. Mike Leach had Texas Tech at 6-0 three weeks before the Red Raiders (5-0, 2-0) rose to their highest ranking ever, No. 2, after toppling No. 1 Texas to be 9-0.
Kingsbury also could become the first Texas Tech coach to win his first six games in his first season.
Texas Tech quarterback Baker Mayfield twisted his right knee last week and might not play.
Iowa State (1-3, 0-1) is eyeing its first Big 12 win after falling 31-30 to Texas on a final-minute score last week.
The Cyclones’ loses have come by a combined 15 points.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- Report: Nerve In Jaylon Smith’s Knee Regenerating; LB Can Lift His Foot
- Falcons Wide Receiver Mohamed Sanu Shares Heartwarming Note From Fans
- Always Be Looking For Fast Starters In Fantasy Baseball’s First Month
- Jeff Cavanaugh’s NFL Draft Top 50 Board
- Video: Bowler Sets World Record For Fastest 300 Game