DFW AIRPORT (CBSDFW.COM) – CBS 11 News has learned about what passengers call an “emergency situation” on a Spirit Airlines flight initially headed from North Texas to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Georgia.
According to Misty Pinson, a spokesperson with Spirit, shortly after Flight 165 took off from DFW Airport before 2:00 p.m. the captain “received an indication of a possible mechanical issue.” Spirit officials said as a safety precaution the crew followed procedure and returned to DFW.
In an email statement to CBS 11 Pinson said, “It was a normal landing and customers safely deplaned. We had another plane taking customers to Atlanta.”
Some passengers had a different take on the experience. CBS 11 obtained text message correspondence between passenger Casey Rogers, who was on the plane, and his wife Ashlee, who was on the ground. Part of one message read, “…I love you make sure my kids know that forever. We have a problem I [sic] the plane it’s full of smoke [sic] the engine has stop and te [sic] whole plane is shaking … I love you don’t forget it!! Pray for me.”
After a series of frightened back-and-forth messages the passenger sent a text that said, “We are trying to land now.” Another text, minutes later said, “We are down [sic] we are ok…”
After a direct question from CBS 11, Pinson confirmed to the station that, “There was smoke in the cabin. One engine was shut down which is normal procedure and this plane can operate on one engine.”
Flight 165 landed safely at DFW Airport. There were no known injuries. Passengers were later put on a separate plane and arrived in Atlanta just before 9:00 p.m. CST.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Street Choir Looking For One Million Video “Likes”
- American Airlines Apologizes For Barring Musician’s Violin
- Ex-Con Making Another White House Run
- Texas Schools Spare No Expense For Huge Football Stadiums
- Keidel: Like Dan Marino, Laremy Tunsil A Victim Of Embellished Fears
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures