AUSTIN (AP) — A student at a Texas high school has shot and killed himself as others gathered nearby for lunch.
School officials say no one else was harmed in the shooting shortly after noon Tuesday at Austins’ Lanier High School. Junior Alex Hernandez told a local newspaper that the boy was sitting alone in a courtyard outside the cafeteria when he pulled out a handgun.
Superintendent Meria Carstarphen says in a statement posted on the Austin school district’s website that the school was placed on lockdown before students were released to the custody of their parents.
She says counselors will be provided to meet with students.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Oklahoma State Manages 2 QB System
- Spurs Beat Mavs 88-83 For 3rd Straight Win
- Trent Leads TCU Past Illinois State 71-60
- Troy’s Hot 2nd Half Takes Down UNT 86-74
- UTA Beats Cold-Shooting Grambling State 73-40