AUSTIN (AP) — A student at a Texas high school has shot and killed himself as others gathered nearby for lunch.
School officials say no one else was harmed in the shooting shortly after noon Tuesday at Austins’ Lanier High School. Junior Alex Hernandez told a local newspaper that the boy was sitting alone in a courtyard outside the cafeteria when he pulled out a handgun.
Superintendent Meria Carstarphen says in a statement posted on the Austin school district’s website that the school was placed on lockdown before students were released to the custody of their parents.
She says counselors will be provided to meet with students.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Master Carpenter Creates Cross Memorial Outside Santa Fe High
- Monkey On The Run At San Antonio Airport
- Rangers To Donate Raffle Proceeds To Santa Fe Education Foundation
- ‘I Am Seeking The Best Solutions’: Governor Abbott To Host Series Of Events On School Safety
- LGBTQ Community Cheers Pope’s Reported ‘God Made You Like This’ Remark