DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – There has been an act of vandalism at one of the most historic places in North Texas.
Graffiti found at the Sixth Floor Museum has officials discussing security for next month’s commemoration of the JFK assassination.
Someone tagged several benches outside the museum — just as officials were ready to show off a recently completed renovation that coincides with the important anniversary.
A new covered walkway is one of several changes that visitors will notice at the Sixth Floor Museum in downtown Dallas.
Someone added the graffiti on the wooden benches on Tuesday. “It’s clearly very disrespectful and the museum is really nice,” visitor Sarah Kamrad said. “I just spent about an hour and a half here.”
The museum’s director, Nicola Longwood, said, “It’s real sad to see our new furniture marred.”
According to Longwood, vandals defaced the new facade that’s part of a recent museum makeover. It’s a makeover that includes a redesigned lobby with more security measures along with fewer entrances and exits. “We’re just moving forward as we do everyday — trying to give our guest a good experience.”
Crime is a concern as the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination approaches. Extra security is planned around Dealey Plaza.
Meanwhile, museum officials believe their new renovations will be sufficient for the large crowds that are expected.
Museum officials won’t say whether security cameras captured the vandalism act. The benches can be repaired, but it will cost about $500.
- Texas Teen Wasn’t Sure He’d Live To Graduate High School; He Did!
- Governor Abbott Cracks Joke About Reporters At Gun Range
- Texas Set To Pass New Abortion Restrictions
- Donaldson, Tulowitzki Activated, Back In Blue Jays’ Lineup
- Texas OKs Requiring Schools To Teach Sex Abuse Prevention
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures