Wynton Marsalis Headlines TBAAL Anniversary Celebration
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Black Academy of Arts and Letters is celebrating 37 years of artistic excellence by bringing jazz and gospel together with nine-time Grammy winner Wynton Marsalis.
Wynton Marsalis’ Abyssinian: A Gospel Celebration featuring the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and the 70 voice Chorale Le Chateau is making it’s North Texas premiere.
This composition travels through Marsalis’ two decade journey of exploring the jazz influences in African American church services.
The sound of black Baptist services is the wellspring of African-American music that has flowed into a myriad of other genres, from blues and R&B to soul and jazz.
The addition of the choir in this work adds an emotional depth unique to African American church choirs.
TBAAL founder and president Curtis King shared with CBS 11 what is means to have Marsalis as a part of the 37th season.
“To have a conversation and a discourse with a person like Mr. Marsalis is absolutely amazing for me. This is just the beginning of something I think is going to be even greater.”
Tickets for tonight’s performance are still available. Click here for more information: http://www.tbaal.org/
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- BP Getting Credit For Gulf Tourism Boom
- Texas House & Senate Approve Tax Cuts
- Perry Seeks To Win Over Iowa
- Strong Storms Expected For Memorial Day
- Trinity River Flood Watchers Told To Stay Back
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures