ARLINGTON (AP) – Yu Darvish has made a $42,000 donation to the Jackie Robinson Foundation to help fund college scholarships.
The Texas pitcher presented the check Wednesday to Rachel Robinson, the widow of Jackie Robinson and founder of the foundation, during her visit to Tokyo. Jackie Robinson wore No. 42, which has been retired by Major league Baseball and won’t be worn by anyone else following Mariano Rivera’s retirement after this season.
Darvish has been home in Japan since the Rangers season ended with a loss to Tampa Bay in the AL wild-card tiebreaker game.
Over 1,400 students have benefited from the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which was founded in 1973 in honor of the Hall of Fame second baseman who broke Major League Baseball’s color barrier in 1947.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Louisiana Toddler Travels To Dallas To Cure Nut Allergy
- Former Texas Officer Who Killed Teen Indicted For 2nd Crime
- President Trump Says He Has No Recordings Of Comey Conversation
- TK O’Ryan Won’t Be Defined By Broken Leg
- Gas Prices Across Texas Down A Nickel This Week
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures