GARLAND (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Garland and across North Texas are still searching for an elderly man, who hasn’t been seen for almost a week, but the statewide Silver Alert to help find him has been canceled.
Hal Ticknor was last seen Friday morning at a Denton-area gas station. He was asking for directions to Garland.
Garland police spokesman Officer Joe Harn said his department isn’t responsible for when a Silver Alert is discontinued. “Somebody with the state makes that decision,” he said. “They said that they were going to quit running the signs.” Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) officials said the alert was pulled because there hadn’t been any update in the search and no sightings of Ticknor.
At the time he went missing the 82-year-old was driving a 2007 silver-colored Chevrolet Equinox. The SUV has the Texas license plate 599-SNC.
Ticknor is described as a white male, standing 5’11” and weighing around 170 pounds. He has silver hair and green eyes.
Anyone with information of Hal Ticknor’s whereabouts is encouraged to call the Garland Police Department at 972-205-1628 or DPS at 512-424-2208.
In a statement on Thursday, Texas DPS told CBS 11 News that Silver Alerts, like other alert programs, are designed as immediate, short-term, public awareness efforts to bring attention to missing seniors. They said their Silver Alerts are granted for 24 hours and must be renewed based on viable leads being received by the agency that requested the alert. DPS says the requesting police agency was no longer receiving leads based on the Texas Silver Alert, so it was allowed to expire Oct. 16. They say more traditional police investigative efforts can continue, as they do in all missing persons cases, and that Silver Alerts can be reissued if new information is received.
This particular silver alert was issued on October 11 and renewed multiple times until being allowed to expire on October 16.
- Oprah 2020? Winfrey Won’t Rule Out Running For Office Thanks To Trump
- FBI Raid And Search Detailed In John Wiley Price Corruption Trial
- The New Reported Cap Number And The Cowboys Squeeze
- The Surprise, Surprise: Last Bench Spot Up For Grabs & More
- Texas Court Hears Case To Limit Gay Marriage Legalization
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures