DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The 2013 State Fair is in the books and it will be remembered for many things — the return of Big Tex and near record crowds.
Fairgoers spent $37,186,519 on food and amusement rides in 2013, which is just shy of the all time record set in 2010 of $37.3 million. The top day for food and beverage sales for this year’s fair was Saturday, October 12, the day of the Texas/OU Red River Rivalry NCAA college football game, with totals equaling $2,761,655. The closing Saturday of this year’s fair, October 19, was the top coupon grossing day totaling $3,711,656.
Other State Fair highlights include:
- Almost 125,000 people visited the “Life & Times of Big Tex” exhibit at the Hall of State, celebrating all things Big Tex, presented by the Dallas Historical Society.
- Fairgoers donated 194,763 pounds of canned food, all benefiting the North Texas Food Bank.
- More than 50,000 fairgoers tried the Deep Fried Cuban Roll, which won the 2013 Big Tex Choice Award for Best Taste.
- More than 72,000 Deep Fried Thanksgiving Dinners were sold. That dish was awarded most creative honors in the 2013 Big Tex Choice Awards contest.
Next year’s state fair is set for September 26 through October 19, 2014.
- Fort Worth Company Managing Several Inauguration Events
- Texas Couple’s Board Game Pokes Fun At 2016 Election
- Report: NFL Admits Mistake On Unsportsmanlike Huddle Penalty On Brice Butler
- Raiders File Papers To Move From Oakland To Las Vegas
- Elder President Bush Had A ‘Good Night’, Barbara Also Better
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures