DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – This year’s State Fair of Texas ended with a bang.
The last weekend of the fair drew in record-breaking crowds. Sunday the crowd was so large the annual end-of-fair Starlight Parade was cancelled.
Fair officials were concerned the floats wouldn’t be able to squeeze safely through the crowds.
Sales during the final weekend surpassed those of OU/Texas which is usually the highest grossing weekend of the fair every year.
“Really crowded, long long lines,” said Tiffany Garza, who came to the fair with her family. “We waited an hour for corny dogs.”
Fair officials predict that fair-goers will have spent close to $37 million on food and amusement rides at the end of this year’s fair.
The all-time high was $35.3 million in 2010.
Many fair-goers said they wanted to come to the fair Sunday because the weather was perfect. For others, it was the fried food the fair is known for. But, of course, perhaps, the biggest draw this year was the fair’s Icon, the new Big Tex.
An electrical fire burned his incarnation last year and the new Big Tex was revealed a day early this year, after what some said was an extreme makeover.
Fair-goer Mayra Pacheco described him as having a “creepier face.”
Despite the makeover, fair organizers say the New Big Texas brought new life to this year’s fair.
“We’re going to do it again next year,” said Sue Gooding, public relations director for the State Fair of Texas.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Trump, Clinton Poised For Must-See Debate Showdown
- Frisco Office Construction Growing To Meet The Need
- Report: Former Cowboy Greg Hardy Arrested In Richardson
- Multiple Police Agencies Looking For Armed, Dangerous Murder Suspect
- Opinion: Civil-Rights Protests? Dirk And The Mavs Want In
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures