DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas man accused of shooting an 8-year-old boy in the face will be back in court on Wednesday. The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office has said that the man’s family has raised enough money to get him out of jail, but there is an effort to keep the defendant behind bars.
Brian Cloninger is accused of shooting 8-year-old D.J. Maiden in the face outside of a northeast Dallas apartment complex. Cloninger’s bond was reduced earlier this month and, according to the prosecutor in this case, the man’s family has raised the $200,000 necessary to get him released from prison.
But prosecutors have filed a motion to reconsider and clarify the bond conditions for Cloninger. They say that the defendant’s wife was less than candid, and did not tell the court that two members of the family were already preparing the funds. The prosecution has also said that Cloninger’s wife did not report to the court that they own lake property.
If released from prison, the prosecution has urged the judge to order Cloninger to wear a SCRAM alcohol monitor. They want him restricted to his home except for those hours when he goes to work, and they want the judge to order Cloninger to have no contact with the victim or his family.
“The family feels very strongly,” said community activist Roy Williams. “The child is constantly asking, ‘When is that man going to get out? Is he going to bother me again?'”
Maiden has been released from the hospital, but family members said that he will require numerous surgeries in the years to come.
Cloninger’s hearing to discuss this matter is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning. It had previously been set for Tuesday.
- Barnes, Matthews Power Mavs Past Bulls 107-82
- City Leaders To Hear Recommendations Of Dallas Commission On Homelessness
- DeSoto Community Reacts To Delayed Parade Due To Football
- Fort Worth Symphony Musicians And Management Reach Tentative Agreement
- No. 14 West Virginia Beats Baylor 24-21 To Get To 10 Wins
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures