DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Texas’ senior U.S. Senator John Cornyn emphasized Republican unity after a bruising fight within the party during the recent budget battle on Capitol Hill saying “Republicans are stronger when we are unified.”
Senator Cornyn and Senator Ted Cruz disagreed on how to fight against the Affordable Care Act.
Mr. Cruz led the campaign to defund President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare reform law, and sharply criticized Republicans who had a different strategy.
They include Mr. Cornyn, the second most powerful Republican in the Senate, who believed the better course of action was allowing the Affordable Care Act to collapse onto itself amid low public support and problems with the government’s website.
Senator Cornyn says, “The difference we had over the defund Obamacare and the continuing resolution was merely a difference in tactics, not against policy. Certainly, Senator Cruz and I agree that Obamacare has not been successful and can’t work.”
Senator Cornyn came to the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center in Dallas Wednesday to meet with police, prosecutors, and counselors to publicize Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
During our exclusive interview Tuesday, Senator Cruz blamed Senate Republicans for causing the rift.
He said, “Republicans have to unite. The reason that didn’t happen here is you have Senate Republicans actively leading the fight against House Republicans. You’re not going to get any red state Democrats to come over when Senate Republicans are opposing the whole deal.”
Senator Cornyn says Republicans can’t win elections by remaining divided. “I’m a firm believer in what Ronald Reagan was once reported to have said that when he asked what do you call someone who agrees with you 80 percent of the time. He says I call them a friend and an ally, not a 20 percent traitor.”
Whether Republicans come together remains to be seen.
While Democrats remained united in defending the Affordable Care Act, some Democrats are now calling for heads to roll after all of the problems people have experienced while trying to register on the health exchange website.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Second Time In 3 Months Hulen Mall Has Been Locked Down
- Oregon Tops Kansas 74-60 To Advance To First Final Four In 78 Years
- Keating Wins Runoff Election For Frisco City Council Position
- Reynolds And Fisher Honored With Humor, Music And Dance
- Man Found Dead Inside Recording Studio; Dallas Police Investigating
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures