CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — An explosion inside a candy factory in the border city of Ciudad Juarez on Thursday left one person dead and at least 40 injured, Mexican authorities said. Several workers remain missing.
The blast took place on the second floor of the Dulces Blueberry factory and caused the floor to collapse, injuring people working downstairs, said factory worker Ismael Bouchet. Dulces Blueberry, which employs 300 people, produces gummy bears, jelly beans and hard candy, among other sweets. The candy is sent to a distributor based in El Paso, Texas.
“I was able to help five people who walked out of the building but as soon as they were out they went into shock and fainted,” he said.
Authorities said the cause of the blast hadn’t been determined but Bouchet said a steam boiler had been installed recently in the area.
Ciudad Juarez Civil Protection Director Fernando Mota said firefighters found a body inside and that six of the at least 40 injured are in serious condition. Several workers are missing and could be trapped inside the building, located on the Texas border, he added.
Bouchet said people could smell acid in the area where the explosion occurred.
“Since the morning, several co-workers said there was a bad smell, that it smelled of acid and because it was a new area we thought it was normal,” Bouchet said.
Photographs of workers being helped by paramedics showed people with injuries that resembled chemical burns.
Ciudad Juarez is a manufacturing hub and the assembly plants there employ many of its residents.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ellis Hits Winner And Mavs Beat Blazers 108-106
- Fort Worth Police Kill Dog Attacking Man
- Baylor Wins First Big 12 Title, 30-10 Over Texas
- Seguin Has 3-Goal Second, Stars Beat Flyers 5-1
- Deadly Truck Pileup Reported On I-10 In West Texas
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures