Dallas Doctor Gets 4 Years In Prison For Fraud
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A Dallas doctor who wrongly allowed his signature to be copied by associates to order prescriptions has been sentenced to four years in prison for medical fraud.
Prosecutors in Dallas say Dr. Daniel K. Leong must also make $865,000 in restitution.
A federal judge on Wednesday sentenced the 59-year-old owner of South Dallas Community Medical Center. Leong in January pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud involving Medicare and Medicaid.
Investigators say Leong ordered unnecessary tests for patients in the reimbursement scam also involving prescription drugs and additional visits.
A physician’s assistant, Cal Graves, used the pre-signed prescriptions and ordered medical tests without having the proper training. Graves pleaded guilty to conspiracy and in February was put on probation and ordered to repay nearly $295,000.
Officials say Leong and Graves also frequently ordered electromyograms (EMG) tests that are used to diagnose neurological and neuromuscular problems. The pair chose to run those tests because they are highly-reimbursable by Medicare and Medicaid. Since a number of the tests were unnecessary, the results often were never read and Graves did not have the proper training to read them.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Irving July 4th Celebration Includes — Fireworks, Debris & Sewage
- Fort Worth Zoo’s New Lion Cubs Meet Dad For First Time
- Carrollton Woman Cuts Trip Short After Boarding Facility Lost Dog
- Body Of Murdered Garland Man Identified, Arrest Made
- Addison’s Annual Kaboom Town Balances Fun And Security
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures