Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – On the heels of the announcement that the Dallas Cowboys will play a road game in London in 2014, Jerry Jones hinted on Friday that the NFL may have additional plans overseas.
The NFL is expanding its presence in England to three games next season, the most since it began the NFL International Series in 2007.
“The look-see here is to see if a segment of people in Britain can make it their team. In other words, can they buy into NFL and can they buy into the pride and support a franchise,” said Jones on 105.3 The Fan’s G-Bag Nation. “London could be an expansion for the NFL. I like the idea. It adds a lot of ‘wow’ to the NFL.”
Could there be an NFL franchise in London?
Many have speculated that the league is looking for creative ways to increase league-wide revenue and interest. Having an international presence would surely address both needs.
But many point to logistical issues, such as travel and fatigue, as major obstacles the league must overcome.
As it currently stands, teams that play in London receive a bye following their overseas game. If eight games per season were played across the pond, scheduling would be a major challenge.
“Logistically, to me, it has to be figured on,” said Jones. “But it’s very doable and won’t impact competitiveness between clubs, either going to play them or the team that is there to play.”
The Jacksonville Jaguars will ‘host’ the Cowboys next season at Wembley Stadium. The real question: will any team ever have a true home game in London?
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Phillies Hope To Find Room For Darin Ruf’s Powerful Bat
- Dallas Stars Retire Modano’s No. 9 Jersey
- No. 18 SMU Falters In 2nd Half Vs No. 20 Memphis
- TCU Winless In Big 12, Loses 97-67 To No. 23 OU
- Your 20-Step Cowboys Free-Agency Guidebook
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures