KwanzaaFest Is Not Cancelled After All
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price says KwanzaaFest, a long-standing Dallas annual cultural event, is back on. Price, founder and organizer of the 22-year event, said earlier this week KwanzaaFest 2013 would be cancelled for financial reasons.
“We haven’t had enough time. We normally start in June. Basically, our expenses have continued to increase,” said Price in an interview with CBS 11′s Steve Pickett.
Even when a last minute donor pledged $40,000 to ensure the event would continue, Price said no. But now, he’s changing his tune.
Price said since the reported cancellation of the event, hundreds of volunteers have pledged to donate their time and resources to make sure KwanzaaFest goes on.
Radio stations K104 & 105.7 will pay for national recording artists to perform at the event, and other sponsors and vendors are also contributing financially to keep the event alive.
During a prior interview with CBS 11, Price denied that an FBI investigation into his finances and a 2011 county probe of KwanzaaFest played any role in the initial decision to cancel.
“Well, there was a cloud over me two years ago…the largest turnout we’ve ever had. There was a cloud last year. Still, the community supported it,” said Price.
A news conference is scheduled for October 29, where more details about the event are expected to be released.
KwanzaaFest 2013 will take place on Saturday, December 13 & Sunday, December 14.
- Rangers Checking Kouzmanoff’s Back Before Beltre Move
- Organic Grocery Store Opens At Sylvan/Thirty
- Texas Family At Center Of Convicted Felon Sperm Mix-Up Mystery
- Batteries In Baby Video Monitors Recalled
- New App Created In Dallas Saves Lives In Storms
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures