Texas Southern Rallies To Edge Grambling 23-17, OT
Sports Fan Insider
GRAMBLING, La. (AP) — Texas Southern rallied from a 10-point deficit and defeated the Grambling Tigers, 23-17, when backup quarterback Jamal Small plunged through the middle of the opposing line for a 2-yard score in overtime at Eddie G. Robinson Stadium on Saturday.
The defeat extended a pair of dubious streaks – 13 straight losses (dating back to Oct. 20, 2012) and 19 games against NCAA competition (Dec. 10, 2011) – for Grambling and put a damper on a chaotic 10-day stretch that included a boycott, a forfeit and a swarm of national attention to this campus in rural Louisiana.
Initially, Grambling quarterback D.J. Williams showed no ill effects from the unplanned off week caused by his team’s forfeit to Jackson State. The son of school legend Doug Williams fired two long touchdown passes (82 and 60 yards) to help push his Tigers to a 17-7 first-half lead.
Behind Small, who replaced injured starter Homer Causey in the second half, Texas Southern (2-6, 2-5 SWAC) tied the game early in the fourth quarter with a 20-yard scoring strike from Small to Jaquaa Peters.
Grambling (0-9, 0-6) survived a pair of interceptions from Williams in the fourth quarter, but couldn’t do the same in overtime after Johnathan Wallace missed a 30-field goal attempt wide left. Texas Southern made good on its opportunity in the extra session.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NRH Man Charged In Hot-Car Death Of Granddaughter
- Study: Bad Roads Cost Texans $25 Billion A Year
- Cruz Suggests Flight Ban Is Boycott Of Israel
- Over 100 Dogs Rescued From Wood County Home, 38 Up For Adoption
- Dallas Woman Sentenced To Life In Starvation Death
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures