BEAVERTON, Ore. (AP) — Reser’s Fine Foods Inc. has voluntarily expanded a recall of packaged salads from its factory in Topeka, Kansas.
The company said it took the step Saturday because the products distributed in Texas, nationwide and in Canada may be contaminated with listeria, which can cause serious illness.
Symptoms of listeria include fever, headache, abdominal pain and diarrhea. People with weak immune systems, such as young children, elderly people and others can die. Pregnant woman can suffer miscarriage or stillbirth.
The recall was first announced Friday.
The company said in a statement on its website that there have been no confirmed illnesses linked to the products. Consumers were advised they could throw away recalled products or take it back where they bought it for a refund.
The products include potato, pasta, tuna and egg salads and others sold under the Reser’s name and others.
Reser’s said the packages are marked with a plant identifier code of 20 next to the best-by-date. About 450 products are listed on the Resers.com website and were sold under names that include Safeway Deli Counter, Walmart and SYSCO, as well as many others. The expiration dates range from October 11 to February 6, 2014.
Reser’s would not respond to questions about how the contamination was discovered, how extensive it was, whether the plant remained operating, or what kind of losses the recall represented.
Food and Drug Administration spokeswoman Juli Ann Putnam said FDA generally does food inspections, but companies sometimes do their own. She said the agency was referring specific questions to Reser’s, as it generally does in cases of voluntary recalls.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Dallas Police Searching For Suspect In Double Murder
- Cowboys Leap Over Bears, Win 31-17
- Golfing Legend Arnold Palmer Dies At 87
- Rangers Can’t Complete Sweep, Fall To A’s 7-1
- ‘Magnificent Seven’ Rides To Strong $35M Debut At Box Office
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures