WASHINGTON (AP) – The Obama administration says it’s granting a six-week extension until March 31 for Americans to sign up for coverage next year and avoid new tax penalties under the president’s health care overhaul law.
Monday’s move had been expected since White House spokesman Jay Carney promised quick action last week to resolve a “disconnect” in the implementation of the law. Technical problems continue to trouble the website that’s supposed to be the main enrollment vehicle for people who don’t get health care at work.
Under the new policy, people who sign up by the end of open enrollment season won’t face a penalty.
Previously you had to sign up by the middle of February, so your coverage would take effect March 1.
The extension is for 2014 only.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Comedian Hannibal Buress Arrested On Intoxication Charge
- ‘Shape Of Water,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ Lead Golden Globe Nominations
- Cowboys Still In Playoff Pursuit, But Do They Have Enough Time?
- MLB Winter Meetings Warm Up Fast With Relievers In Demand
- New Drug Could Slow Down Rattlesnake Bite’s Deadly Symptoms
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures