Community Joins Forces For Big Food Pantry Donation
Get Breaking News First
FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) – The Frisco Family Services Food Pantry is the only such food bank in the Frisco area. So naturally, the facility fell on hard times during the federal government shutdown.
The shuttering of federal doors meant the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) was forced to cancel the delivery of more than 25 truckloads of food to North Texas Food Banks, including Frisco Family Services.
Seeing that the pantry was facing a crisis Frisco resident Jennifer Bates reached out to family, friends, neighbors, and local businesses via Facebook. Bates asked for volunteers to help put together and contribute to a food drive that would hopefully restock pantry shelves. “The next morning I woke up and I had bags and bags of groceries from my front door step down to the street,” she recalled.
To make things easier, Bates even dropped of empty donation boxes for businesses to fill.
According to Frisco Family Services, each month the food pantry distributes some 35,000 pounds of food to more than 350 families. In addition to food donations, more than half a dozen crates of clothes were also given to the Frisco Resale Store.
According to their website, the goal of Frisco Family Services is to help “members of our communities who are facing hunger, homelessness and other urgent needs.”
When all was said and done, by Friday afternoon Bates, along with other children and adults, packed up more than 40 boxes of donated food. “Everybody stepped up and we wound up with three big truckloads,” Bates said excitedly. “I just thought it was fabulous how everyone came together.”
Now Bates is encouraging and challenging other communities to do the same for our North Texas neighbors in need.
- First 48 People Come Off Ebola Watch List
- Playoff Pinch Hits: James Shields-Wil Myers Trade A Success For Royals
- Cruise Ship Docks With Ebola-Watched Health Worker
- Cowboys Fans Provide True Homefield Advantage
- Cowboys ‘FishTips’ Lead To Pounding Of Giants
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures