LUBBOCK (AP) – Tubby Smith believes Texas Tech can have a winning program again.
The Red Raiders’ new coach brings a standout resume to West Texas. Smith won a national title at Kentucky, has made 17 NCAA tournament appearances and has 19 seasons with at least 20 victories. He comes to Texas Tech after six seasons at Minnesota.
Texas Tech put together four consecutive 20-plus win seasons during Bob Knight’s nearly eight-year tenure, including a 2005 appearance in the NCAA regional semifinals. Before Knight, James Dickey led the Red Raiders to a top-10 ranking and a 30-win season.
But Texas Tech has won just four Big 12 games the past two seasons, including an 11-20 finish last season.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Conor McGregor To Fight Alvarez In UFC’s New York Debut Nov. 12
- Voters Weigh In On Social Media Following Presidential Debate
- Rangers Lose To Brewers, 8-3, Lose Ground For AL Home Field
- Plano Football Coaches Apologize For Dirty Hit In Denton Game
- Crime Spree Leaves Man Dead In Dallas And In Cedar Hill
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The ‘Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Migrating Spiders Sailing Through North Texas Skies
- Texas Lt. Gov. Says Obama Should Be Impeached
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures