DUNCANVILLE (CBS 11 News) – Twelve year old Allie Holmes stepped off her school bus Tuesday and had no idea where she was.
“I was really, really, really nervous. I was scared,” she said.
The fifth grader, who struggles with a learning disability, was riding a new bus, for students who stay after school for tutoring. Holmes’ bus driver dropped her off in the wrong neighborhood. Duncanville ISD investigated and confirmed the driver ordered her off the bus almost a mile away from home.
The young girl walked up to a stranger, asked to borrow a phone, and called her father at home.
“She said, ‘Daddy, I don’t know where I’m at,'” her father, Joe O’Neal, said.
He received directions from the phone’s owner and found his daughter standing on a street corner.
“I was shaking. I didn’t really panic, but I was scared,” said O’Neal.
O’Neal says, he was allowed to watch video from the bus of what happened.
“(The driver) was asking the students, you know , ‘Is this your stop? Where do you get off?’ And going by their word instead of by the paper he had,” said O’Neal.
The district now says it will have students on after school tutoring buses carry badges with their name, address, and bus stop.
“We transport approximately 14 thousand students a day and we have to get it right every time and when we don’t it’s serious,” said district spokesperson, Tammy Kuykendall.
O’Neal, though , says this is the second time a school bus driver has left his daughter in the wrong place, and he wants to make sure it’s the last.
“They need to have training for all their drivers, make sure everyone’s on the same page,” he said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Valet Parking Hurting Business In Bishop Arts District
- Cowboys Lose Romo Early, Fall To Seahawks In Third Preseason Game
- Pup On The Run Captures The Hearts Of Roanoke Residents
- Hamels Dominates; Gomez Homers In Rangers Win Over Indians
- Romo Leaves Game After Hit To Back
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures