Dallas County Equips Patrol Cars With Dash Cams
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - The Dallas County Sheriff’s Department has a new tool for keeping deputies safe on the road.
The department has outfitted 90 of its traffic division patrol cars with a system that digitally streams live dash cam video.
Sergeant Mike Laughlin says, it’s not to look in on deputies as they’re on the road during routine patrol – only four supervisors can access the system – rather, it will only be used as a live stream in the most extreme incidents.
“Say we lose contact with one of our deputies. He’s not answering the radio for a long period of time. We’d be able to look in real time and see what the situation is. Is he in trouble, or has he been injured,” Sgt. Laughlin says.
Laughlin says the DCSD began researching options for upgrading its old VHS camera system, a couple of years ago.
“We had a high failure rate on the video tapes. A tape is evidence of an offense or incident that happened,” Laughlin said.
The VHS system in place for the last decade wasn’t as efficient, Laughlin says of the old process on retrieving tapes for evidence.
“It involved going into a room with a box of video tapes and going through them. Finding the video and putting it in a VCR and looking through eight hours of tape until we found what we were looking for,” he said.
With the new system, different actions in the patrol car trigger the device to start recording audio and video: flashing lights, speeds above 85 mph, opening of the rear door.
“I don’t know of anything more advanced than this. This is state of the art,” Laughlin said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Stars Retire Modano’s No. 9 Jersey
- No. 18 SMU Falters In 2nd Half Vs No. 20 Memphis
- TCU Winless In Big 12, Loses 97-67 To No. 23 OU
- Memorial Service Held For Murdered Richardson ISD Teacher, Mother Of Two
- Untapped Festival Features 65 Breweries, Over 200 Drinks
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures