FORT WORTH (AP) – Jimmie Johnson qualified third for the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Texas, one row ahead of Matt Kenseth.
Johnson and Kenseth are tied for the points lead going into Sunday’s race.
Carl Edwards starts on the pole after a qualifying lap of 196.114 mph on Friday. Edwards earned his first pole at Texas, where he is the only three-time Cup winner.
The polesitter has won the last two races at the high-banked 1 1/2-mile track.
Brad Keselowski starts on the front row after a fast lap of 196.100 mph, just ahead of Johnson’s 195.943 mph. Kenseth qualified sixth.
Jeff Gordon starts eighth, the same as he did in April at the track before finishing 38th because of a suspension problem. He is third in points, 27 behind Johnson and Kenseth.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
*Listen to NASCAR in DFW on 105.3 The Fan
- FC Dallas Rallies To Beat Dynamo 3-1
- Rahal Makes Last-Lap Pass To Win IndyCar Race At Texas
- Frisco ISD Voters Reject Property Tax Increase
- Moreland, Griffin Lead Rangers To 7-0 Win Over Indians
- Cowboys’ Ford Center Hosts Frisco ISD Football Kickoff
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures