(CBSDFW.COM) - Cleburne High School and Wheat Middle School have been locked down as a precautionary measure as authorities search for a juvenile believed to be in possession of a firearm.
On Monday morning, 16-year-old Zachary Lyle Worth stole a blue, 2007 Suzuki Forenza (TX license CW2V568) from the Rolling Oaks/Cleburne area and fled the scene. The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office says Worth is “upset his father is dying and had fight with a family member.”
Authorities believe Worth is in possession of a Ruger handgun, .357 with several speed loaders.
Lieutenant Tim Jones with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office thinks the teen has left the state.
School administrators made the decision around 10:30 a.m. Monday for Cleburne High School students, and then shortly after expanded the campus-wide perimeter lockdown to Wheat Middle School, which is next door.
“We chose to take this precautionary measure due to an external situation that does not involve our school,” Principal Jennifer Baadsgaard said. “To err on the side of caution and safety, we decided to implement the perimeter lockdown, but we want to emphasize that there is no direct threat or danger to Cleburne High School. We have implemented this only because of this external situation.”
As part of the perimeter lockdown, students of both schools are being kept inside their respective buildings during passing periods, physical education classes and athletic practices. The schools’ main entrances are being monitored and utilized to allow access to parents and visitors.
The lockdown is expected to stay in place until the end of the school day.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Important Winter Storm Phone Numbers
- Texas A&M Handles Houston 74-57
- Fort Worth’s BNSF Railway To Offer Health Care To Same-Sex Spouses
- Mexico City Arena Evacuated Before NBA Tipoff Between Spurs, Timberwolves
- Trial Begins For Drunk Driving Teen That Killed Four
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures