FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – A teenager accused of murdering a five-year-old by striking him with a bowling ball accepted a plea agreement before the start of his Capital Murder trial.
The 14-year-old, who is not being identified because of his age, admitted to hitting Sida Osman twice with a 14-pound bowling ball in June of this year because the little boy was bothering him about going to the store.
The teen said he hid the bowling ball, before leaving Sida’s body in the backyard of a vacant house. He later showed the body to three other boys, but none of them contacted police.
Sida’s family and police searched for the little boy for 18 hours, until two employees with a food program discovered his body and called authorities. Sida died of blunt force head injuries.
The families of both boys cried in juvenile court as the teen plead guilty to the murder and was sentenced to 23 years in prison. He will begin his sentence at the state prison for juveniles — Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD). He could be transferred to an adult prison after his 16th birthday to serve the remainder of his sentence.
“He’s having a hard time with it. He said that’s all he can think about right now, that he took a little boy’s life,” said Ray Hall, the teen’s attorney,
“This is one of the most heartbreaking cases I’ve ever been involved in – just I can think of nothing more horrific for the family of that young boy to have something like that happen to your 5 year old,”said prosecutor Riley Shaw.
Sida’s mother spoke in court about how her little boy’s death has devastated her. When she finished speaking, the teen who killed her child turned to her, shaking, and said two very simple words, “I’m sorry.”
“Before he stood up, he leaned over to me and said that he was scared to do it, and I told him just to relax that he needs to do that the family needs to hear that – that it would be important. He’s wanted to say that, but hadn’t had the opportunity,” said Hall.
- Powerful Quake Kills Dozens In Central Italy
- Confusion As To Whether Trump Could Favor ‘Softening’ Immigration Stance
- Richardson Couple: Someone Killed Our Dog Over Clinton Sign
- Frisco Planning & Zoning Commission Denies Prop To Build Oncor Substation
- Top 5 School Lunch Tips
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures