Two New Human West Nile Cases In Tarrant County
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
TARRANT COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Officials with Tarrant County Public Health (TCPH) have confirmed two additional human cases of West Nile Virus.
One patient is a Fort Worth woman in her 30’s who contracted West Nile Fever (WNF). WNF usually causes flu-like symptoms.
The other patient is also female, is in her late 60’s and lives in Arlington. She is being treated for West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease (WNND). The neuroinvasive version of the disease infects the central nervous system and can also result in other illnesses like meningitis and encephalitis.
These latest confirmed cases bring the total number of West Nile Virus human cases in Tarrant County this year to nine. Two of those individuals have died.
Despite cooler temperatures, TCPH officials are encouraging residents to remain vigilant regarding West Nile Virus.
All North Texans are being asked to adhere to the five D’s when it comes to controlling the presence of mosquitoes that transmit West Nile.
- DRAIN—all areas of standing water including changing water in wading pools, birdbaths, and cleaning out gutters;
- DEET—Use bug spray and protect clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET;
- DRESS—Dress in light- colored clothing with long sleeves and wear long pants;
- DUSK/DAWN—Limit outdoor exposure at dusk and dawn;
- DOORS—Keep door and window screens in good repair
- Grieving Parents Giving Teens Life Or Death Warning About Ecstasy
- Renown Denton Business Frenchy’s Told To Remove American Flags
- Doctor Who Visited Africa Tests Positive For Ebola In NYC
- Pics Show Cheerleaders Topless Doing Drugs; Parents Outraged
- Task Force Shifts Ebola Patient’s Treatment Strategy
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures