Plano Police Ready For ‘Friday Night Fights’
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) - The Friday Night Lights turned into a Friday Night Fight in Plano last week. Both students and adults at a fast food restaurant ended up getting involved in a brawl. Five people have been arrested so far, and police are doing everything they can to avoid a repeat.
The fight reportedly began over a heated rivalry between students from Plano Senior High School and Plano West Senior High School. The entire ordeal at a nearby Whataburger restaurant was captured by cell phone cameras.
This week, Plano West Senior High School faces off against Plano East Senior High School. Meanwhile, Plano Senior High School will play Allen High School.
Officials with the Plano Police Department said that there is no intelligence that suggests there will be another fight this week. But they are not taking any chances. Additional officers will be deployed to that Whataburger location. Authorities also plan to be monitoring the chatter among students, to make sure they know where large groups could be gathering.
“We’re pretty concerned, but we haven’t had any threats of anything going on,” said David Tilley with the Plano Police Department. “We have to be proactive on this.”
Police do not typically publicize their plans in situations like this, but they insist that another violent outburst will not be tolerated.
The three senior high schools in Plano took action as well, sending letters home to students and parents, encouraging people to act in a civil manner, and warning about repercussions that could come from off-campus fights.
- Sauceda & Fowler Join ‘Don’t Mess With Texas’
- Mattress Firm Acquiring 93 Stores In 3 Deals
- Traffic Rises At Southwest Airlines
- February Winter Storms Hurt American Airlines
- Longhorns Looking Into Stadium Expansion
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures