OAK CLIFF (CBSDFW.COM) – Male students from W.H. Adamson High School won the chance to play like professionals at AT&T Stadium next season.
Their commitment to speak out against domestic violence earned students the once in a lifetime prize.
At football games last Friday night, city representatives and Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings challenged students to pick up their cell phones, visit the Dallas Men Against Abuse website and sign the “What It Takes To Be A Man” pledge against domestic violence.
By signing the online pledge, the teens vowed to never hit a woman.
More than 20,000 men logged onto the website, but more than 8,000 were from Adamson High.
Although a pledge may seem like merely words on a webpage, Mayor Rawlings said he hopes it makes DISD athletes think twice about the men they want to grow up to be.
One in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. Police filed 13,000 domestice violence cases last year; 26 of those victims died.
Mayor Rawlings rallied against domestic violence alongside Dallas Cowboys player Dez Bryant, Dallas City Council member, Dwayne Carraway and other well-known members of the communitye earlier this year. In addition to holding all men accountable for the issue of domestic violence, Mayor Rawlings has encouraged more women to report incidents of domestic violence. Family violence is one of the most under reported crimes.
Calls to action such as the online pledge and rally are moves toward educating people about the prevalence of domestic violence in their own communities.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Are The Cowboys Canada’s Team? Jerry Jones Says So
- Life In Prison For Mexican Man Who Shot North Texas Lawyer Dead
- City Of Dallas Offering Emergency Training For Disastrous Situations
- Texas GOP Leaders Okay Hiring Hundreds Of Child Welfare Workers
- Johnny Manziel Reaches Deal In Domestic Violence Case
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures