NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Parents in two North Texas towns are on high alert after three attempted child kidnappings.
“I live right around the corner, and it’s terrifying to me,” says Erin Labhart, who found out about the incidents today.
Last Thursday, when a 12-year-old girl got off the school bus at the corner of Springhill Drive and Hurstview Drive, she says a middle aged man, in a black SUV followed her. Then Friday, it happened again, only this time, the girl says, the man chased her on foot. Only when she reached her house, did he run away.
“We don’t have any reason to doubt her,” said Assistant Chief Steve Niekamp, with Hurst Police.
Niekamp says he was not notified of the incident until Monday, and put out the alert that evening.
Police have increased patrols in the area, and are working with North Richland Hills Police, where an 8-year-old girl reported a similar incident on Halloween afternoon.
The Birdville Independent School District is alerting parents, too.
“We need to be aware of safety for our children. This is a situation that happened around one of our schools and involved one of our students. We’re glad they’re okay,” said Mark Thomas, communications officer for Birdville ISD.
Tuesday afternoon, students at Smithfield Middle, Porter Elementary, and Walker Creek Elementary took home informational letters. The district also sent automated calls, letting parents know what happened.
“We want the community to know they need to be vigilant and join us in watching for students’ safety,” said Thomas.
Police are asking anyone with information or tips on the attempted abductions to call their local law enforcement department.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- LSU Defeat Texas A&M 19-7
- Arlington Homicide Detectives Investigating 20-Year-Old Man’s Death
- 23-Year-Old Charged With Murder Following Witness Tip
- UTEP Defeats North Texas 20-17
- Texas Tech Rallies To Hand Hawaii Its First Loss, 82-74
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures