DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – A tragedy happened in front of a Dallas high school before class Tuesday morning. A teenager was run over and killed by a car that had just dropped him off at Bryan Adams High School.
What made it all the more tragic, 16-year-old Jerry Nguyen wasn’t even a student there…he was getting a ride so he could catch a bus to his own high school.
“Oh, it’s sad to this community, it’s really bad,” claimed Pedro Rivera, Jr. , who says he can’t believe this could happen happen at the school he once attended.
Police tell us Nguyen had caught a ride with a friend who attends school here. That teen’s mother was driving and stopped to drop them off. According to Dallas police spokesman Sr. Cpl. DeMarquis Black, “As the teens were exiting, one began to walk across the street and was struck by the vehicle, when it made a U-turn.”
Police say the U-turn was illegal, and that Nguyen crossed behind the Volkswagen Beetle and was knocked down and run over. He died en route to the hospital from blunt force trauma, according to a written report.
It happened about 7:45 a.m. Rivera remembers it’s hectic outside just before school starts. “It’s really busy when they’re about to go in, like ten minutes early when they’re about to go in traffic stops, and you have to wait for, like, two minutes.”
Rivera says he prayers to the the families.
DISD spokesman John Dahlander says Nguyen didn’t attend Bryan Adams but was supposed to catch a bus there to go to school at the Townview Magnet Center. “Had his whole life in front of him. Tragically, that ended today.”
School officials sent letters home with students at both schools, explaining to parents what happened and offering counseling to both students and teachers, according to Dahlander.
“So what we’re bascially doing is listening and trying to provide support hopefully getting things back to normal as we possibly can. But it’s always a shock when you hear this news.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Searching For Man Who Exposed Himself To Woman
- Former Duncanville Teacher Starts 10 Year Sentence For Student Affair
- Rain Boots Fit For A Queen On-Trend At Dean & DeLuca Invitational
- TSA Put To Test With Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- Texan With Character: Aman Lee
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures