(credit: KTVT/KTXA)

(credit: KTVT/KTXA)

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Arlington located a missing 3-year-old girl early Wednesday morning. The incident began just after 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning at the Sutter Creek apartment complex, located in the 2200 block of Henderson Drive, close to Arkansas Lane in east Arlington.

The young girl was identified as Esther Nbegwa. According to police, her mother left for work at about 5:30 a.m. before her father came home from work at about 6:00 a.m. on Wednesday. The child was not left alone. There were other children in the house, with the oldest being between 10 and 12 years old. It was during this 30-minute time frame that Nbegwa wandered away.

When the girl’s father discovered that his daughter was missing, he called police and an extensive search was conducted in the area. The Arlington Police Department even requested assistance from the Fort Worth Police Department’s helicopter.

There were no signs of any foul play in the child’s disappearance, police said. But with temperatures hovering around the freezing mark on Wednesday morning, the search took on a greater intensity. “As many of us are parents that were on the search, you start putting a 3-year-old missing as bad in its own,” said Sgt. Jeff Houston with the Arlington Police Department. “When it’s in the 30s, it becomes extraordinarily bad and it becomes a priority, and we’ll pull out all resources to try and find this child.”

Nbegwa was located shortly after 7:30 a.m. at the apartment complex. A neighbor who lived about three buildings away found the child and let her into his apartment, with his family, so that she could stay warm. The neighbor tried to find out where she lived, but Nbegwa could not offer a clear path, only pointing in the general direction of her home. “She was cold, like really cold,” the neighbor said. “Her face and everything was cold and I felt bad.”

As a paramedic was going door-to-door in search of Nbegwa, he noticed the girl standing near the man. The young child appeared to be safe, but was still checked out by officials as a matter of procedure. Police have not said if the girl’s parents will face any charges.

Latest News:

Top Trending: