DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Jurors in Dallas County are listening to more testimony Wednesday as they decide if the man convicted of killing a teenage babysitter should be put to death. Franklin Davis was found guilty of capital murder on Tuesday afternoon. Defense attorneys are now trying to convince the jury that he should spend life in prison.
Shania Gray was killed in September of last year. The 16-year-old’s mother told police that Davis sexually assaulted the victim. Gray was scheduled to testify against Davis when she was murdered.
Davis has a daughter of his own, whose mother testified Wednesday that she was physically abused by Davis on numerous occasions. At one point, Jennifer Debrelle told the courtroom that Davis attacked her with a BB gun. “I snatched it away from him,” she recalled. “If I pushed him into the door and snatched it, I snatched that gun away from him because he shot me with a BB gun in front of my children.”
The prosecution is trying to paint a picture of who Davis really is outside of the courtroom. Three police officers also spoke on the stand Wednesday morning about how the defendant escaped from Parkland Hospital on December 5. Davis was awaiting his trial in this case at the time of that incident.
Gray’s mother is expected to testify later on Wednesday.
- Doxakis, Texas A&M Shut Down Auburn, 4-2 In SEC
- Perez Plays Ball Off Choo’s Nose To Help Duffy, KC Top Texas
- Balta Drives In 4 Runs To Lead TCU Past West Virginia, 8-1
- Champions League Final: Salah Challenges Ronaldo’s Supremacy
- Gordon Leads Rockets Over Warriors 98-94 To Take Series Lead
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures