LBJ TEXpress Toll Lanes Set To Open Next Month
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – On December 14, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will open 3.2 miles of the LBJ Express toll road.
The expanse between Greenville Avenue and Preston Road is the first of three sections to open, after three years of construction.
The full, 13-mile project is slated for completion in mid-2015. Including frontage roads, the project widens LBJ to 22 lanes.
Four of the 22 lanes are toll road, dubbed the “TEXpress”. A first of its kind toll road in the country, it will have a guaranteed speed of 50 miles per hour. To keep the traffic moving, the toll rate will fluctuate every six minutes.
Lower prices per mile will be posted on road signage during low traffic hours, and higher prices during peak traffic hours.
For the first month, the TEXpress prices are set between $.05 and $.32 per mile, depending on traffic flow.
For the first six months, the price will be a fixed range, capped no higher than $.75 per mile, as drivers get used to paying attention to constantly changing rates.
Discounts will be available for carpoolers, who will ‘check in’ on a smart phone app before driving on the toll road.
- Savvy Shopping Mom Pays It Forward At Christmas
- Lewisville PD Identify Police Shooting Suspect
- Patients Feel The Pinch Of Higher Generic Drug Prices
- DFW Gas Prices Falling In Time For The Holidays
- Oil Boom Brings New Focus To Univ. Of Texas’ Land
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures