DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Emotional testimony is expected to continue on Thursday in the capital murder trial of Franklin Davis, the man convicted earlier this week of killing his 16-year-old babysitter. Jurors in downtown Dallas are still listening to witnesses in the penalty phase of the case.
Davis never denied killing Shania Gray in September of last year. But his attorneys are trying to convince the jury that he should not be put to death for the crime. The victim’s mother is expected to testify on Thursday after the defense has finished presenting its witnesses.
Prosecutors presented evidence on Wednesday about Davis attempting to escape from custody while at Parkland Hospital in December of last year, while awaiting his trial for this case. Dallas SWAT officers took him back into custody a few hours later.
Jennifer Debrelle also took the witness stand on Wednesday. She and Davis have a daughter together. But she said that Davis physically abused her on numerous occasions. “He grabbed me and said he hopes I lose my baby,” Debrelle told the courtroom. “I will never forget that because it still rings in my ear.”
Defense attorneys presented a St. Louis police detective who spoke about the traumatic childhood which Davis had to endure, including his father’s early death and his mother’s murder.
After both sides have finished presenting their cases, the jury will decide if Davis receives life in prison or if he will be put to death.
- Congress Cracks Down On “Bots” That Snap Up Concert Tickets
- Final Rules For K-12 Standardized Testing Released
- Surgeon General Calls Youth ‘Vaping’ A Public Health Threat
- Texas Tech Defeats UTSA 87-50 For 5th Straight Win
- Hampton Scores Season-High 21 In Texas A&M’s Victory Over Denver
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures