FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) — A 38-year-old Arlington teacher was sentenced to the maximum 20 years in prison on Wednesday for having sex with five female students.
Brandon McDaniel, a former Sam Houston High School teacher, pleaded guilty to four counts of improper relationship between an educator and a student for having sexual relationships with three students.
During the punishment phase, prosecutors brought jurors a total of five students who had sex with McDaniel. A jury deliberated for an hour and a half before sentencing McDaniel to the maximum allowable punishment.
“For more than a decade, this defendant seduced his students and lived a double life,” said Assistant District Attorney Alana Minton. “This jury taught Brandon McDaniel a lesson he won’t soon forget.”
McDaniel was the chairman of the English Department, coach of the debate and mock trial teams, and an advisor to the International Baccalaureate Program.
Prosecutors allege the improper relationships occurred from 2002 to 2012 and involved students ranging in age from 14 to 18. The sex occurred in various locations, including his classroom, car, his home, and even at school functions.
McDaniel also provided alcohol and marijuana to his victims on occasion.
A student came forward in 2009, but authorities couldn’t prove the allegations to be true. McDaniel was reprimanded by the school, but continued to develop relationships with students in 2011 and 2012.
Working on an anonymous tip, Arlington Police found evidence of the relationships in 2012 and charged him in connection with the crimes.
All of his victims — and his wife — were attractive, petite women with long, dark hair. McDaniel also targeted intellectually gifted students — all of whom finished in the top ten of their classes.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Friends Of Murdered Pair Raise Money For Their Families
- Dallas Salutes Retired Chief David Brown
- Breyer Says He Won’t Get Into A Debate Over Court Vacancy
- 1 Killed In Crash On Central Expressway Service Road
- North Texas Residents Fed Up With Big Trucks In Their Neighborhood
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures