DUNCANVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – Dozens of American flags were reduced to rags yesterday and others were torn down in Duncanville. The flags were part of a patriotic display put up around Armstrong Park by the Duncanville Rotary Club.
When members of the rotary club showed up Saturday to collect the flags, they found it in disarray. Flag poles were bent or broken and 74 flags were damaged or stolen.
“It seems very intentional, it seems like somebody took their time making their way down Wheatland Avenue and Main Street,” said rotary member Josh Fitzpatrick. “It’s a very prominent place in the city to destroy these flags — it’s shameful.”
The club uses the display five times a year as a collective show of patriotism during holidays. All of the flags were donated by members in the community.
The club said it plans on continuing its tradition of decorating the park in red, white and blue despite the incident.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Garland Auto Repair Shop Around For 20+ Years Burns
- Burger King Adds Hot Dogs To Menu This Month
- Eight Fire Departments Battle Wildfire In Celina
- Advocates Say Exxxotica Expo Encourages Sex Trade
- Massive Free Medical Clinic for Underserved Returning To Dallas
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures