FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Fort Worth Opera introduced more than 2,400 third graders in Mansfield ISD to opera Monday.
“Performing in a venue like the Center for the Performing Arts is such a treat because it allows us to bring these engaging and fun programs to many more students than we might otherwise reach. It is a stunning facility where the students can really get an idea of what it would be like to attend an opera in this type of venue,” said Fort Worth Opera Director of Education Hannah Guinn.
Students watched a performance of “The Ugly Duckling” through a program called the Children’s Opera Theatre. The opera, based on the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, was meant to engage and encourage an appreciation of the arts.
“We are pleased to partner with Fort Worth Opera to bring this unique educational experience to our third graders. This program is a wonderful opportunity to foster an appreciation for theatre and the performing arts in our young students,” said Mansfield ISD Superintendent Dr. Jim Vaszauskas.
Having already performed at select schools in Mansfield ISD in recent years, Children’s Opera Theatre has expanded its musical education outreach to include the special show. It’s the first time the group has collaborated on a district level. Additionally, the Fort Worth Opera provides an online teacher’s guide for the elementary-level performance.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- University Of North Texas Team Helps Develop Drug-Sniffing Car
- Authorities: Texas Mom Didn’t Stop Sex Assaults On Daughter
- Rockwall “Potty Provision” Fails
- Mother Of 2 Children Found In San Antonio Child Abuse Case
- Cruz Fights For Survival Trump Eyes Indiana Knockout
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Dallas Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Birdville ISD On Edge After Abduction Attempts
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures