BARDWELL (CBSDFW.COM) – A mother and her two sons were murdered at a birthday party in the small Ellis County town of Bardwell Saturday night.
The suspect, family members say, knew the family well. He was dating the daughter and sister of the victims.
Roberto Costilla, 27, was spotted by Department of Public Safety troopers in the nearby town of Italy and arrested. He is being held on a million-dollar bond for murder.
Family members told CBS 11 News, he killed Gladys Goff and her two adult sons, Eric and Ray, when he “lost it” after being told to leave the birthday party.
“He showed up and wasn’t supposed to be here,” said Eric Goff, a nephew and cousin of the victims. “He was asked to leave. From what I understand he came back with two weapons – a knife and a pistol.”
Costilla’s girlfriend and her six-year-old child ran to a neighbor’s house for safety, according to relatives.
Family members said they warned Gladys’ daughter about Costilla and suspected abuse.
Roslyn Miles, Gladys’ sister-in-law, said she hopes other abused women will see what happened to her family and try to get help.
She said, “Right now it’s our family. Next time it could be someone else’s family in the same situation. Just get out.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Portrait Photographer’s Tribute To WWII Veterans
- Multi-Vehicle Wreck In Arlington Causes One Rollover
- Darvish, Rangers Top Pirates 5-2
- Shooting At Dallas Club Leaves One Dead
- Ohio Zoo Kills Gorilla To Protect Child In Enclosure
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures