ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — The Texas Rangers have ruled out free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and our focusing their efforts on outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman.
Though the Rangers are admittedly looking to replace the power lost with free agent Nelson Cruz, one team source says the rumored price for Choo — a Scott Boras client — might be too high for Texas.
That person didn’t specify which rumors he was referring to, but word is out Choo and agent Scott Boras have previous deals for Jayson Werth ($126 million, seven years) and Carl Crawford ($142 million, seven years) in mind while gauging teams’ interest in Choo and Ellsbury. (CBSSPORTS.COM)
Ellsbury has primary played as a center fielder, where Leonys Martin appears to be entrenched as the starter.
Choo appeared in 154 games with Cincinnati last season, hitting .285 with a .423 OBP — second highest in the National League. The 31-year-old added 21 homeruns and 54 RBIs in his first season with the Reds.
Choo spent the previous six seasons with Cleveland, but was traded prior to the 2013 season in a three-team deal including Arizona.
The incumbent Reds and both New York teams — the Yankees and Mets — are among the teams to have shown interest in Choo, according to Heyman.
Alex Rios, who is under contract for 2014, filled the void in right field during Cruz’ suspension after being acquired in August. In 47 games, Rios batted .280 with six homeruns and 16 stolen bases.
Craig Gentry was the team’s primary left fielder down the stretch, hitting .400 with 10 stolen bases in 23 September games.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Khloe Kardashian Seeks Divorce From Lamar Odom, Again
- Baylor Looks To Rebuild After Sex Assault Reports
- Defending Champion Warriors Stave Off Elimination, Beat OKC
- TCU Beats Oklahoma State 13-5 In Big 12 Tournament
- AP Source: Rockets, D’Antoni Agree On 4-Year Deal
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures