WAXAHACHIE (CBSDFW.COM) – The oldest living former sheriff in Texas has died.
Wayne McCollum died Sunday, November 17, 2013.
Mr. McCollum was Sheriff of Ellis County for 20 years. He was first elected to the office in 1956 and served until 1977.
This past May McCollum celebrated his 101st birthday.
The jail in Ellis County is named the Wayne McCollum Detention Center.
A statement sent out by the sheriff’s department said, “Sheriff McCollum will be missed by many current and former Ellis County Deputies.”
Visitation for former Sheriff McCollum will be held November 20 at the Wayne Boze Funeral Home in Waxahachie.
A graveside funeral service will be Thursday, November 21 at Hillcrest Cemetery in Waxahachie.
- Rising Star: Gonzaga Forward Zach Collins
- CBS Local Bracket Update: Out Of 28,373 Brackets, None Have Perfect Final Four
- Rangers Release 1B Loney, Send 2 Others To Minor Leagues
- Texas Senate OKs Revisions To Voter ID Law
- Tips To Help Students Manage STAAR Test Stress
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Dallas Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Birdville ISD On Edge After Abduction Attempts
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures