3 Earthquakes Detected Near North Texas Town
AZLE (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Three earthquakes in one day have been detected around a North Texas town that has already seen a swarm of seven earthquakes in the past month.
The U.S. Geological Survey detected three earthquakes Tuesday around Azle, 20 miles northwest of Fort Worth. A tremor registering a 2.5 magnitude was detected at 11:57 a.m. Another, registering a 2.8 magnitude, was detected at 12:03 p.m. One registered a 3.6 magnitude at 6:40 p.m.
CBS 11 News viewers have been tweeting about the quakes. Eddie Gossage, president at the Texas Motor Speedway, is used to rockin’ and rollin’… just not like this.
Wyatt Shanks asked, “Did anybody else’s house just shake? Both my house and my neighbor’s house just shook like there was an earthquake.”
The USGS scales show the first two were vibrations that would have felt like the passing of light trucks strong enough to be felt by almost all indoors, causing hanging objects swing.
A lot of residents were completely confused, calling family and friends and even CBS 11 to find out what had happened.
But Bryan Daneman pretty much had it figured out.
The third earthquake would have felt like the vibration of passing heavy trucks, causing stopped cars to rock, hanging objects to swing and rattling windows, dishes and doors.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Price Asking Taxpayers To Pick Up Legal Tab
- Major Nor’easter Disrupts Local Flights
- Facebook Post Lands Mineral Wells Man In Jail
- Former Prime Prep Superintendent: It’s “A Financial Mess”
- GOP Lawmakers: Guns On Campus Bill Has Votes To Pass Senate
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures