AUSTIN (AP) – Texas is getting another Bush on the ballot.
George P. Bush has formally filed to run for land commissioner.
The grandson of one former president and nephew of another filed Tuesday with the Texas Republican Party. Former El Paso Democratic Mayor John Cook is running against Bush in next November’s election.
They are vying to replace Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who is running for lieutenant governor.
A Spanish-speaker, Bush is the son of ex-Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. His grandfather and uncle are former Presidents George H.W. and George W. Bush, who was also Texas governor.
George P. has worked to tamp down lofty expectations as he seeks a relatively little-known post.
Still, the Texas GOP has touted him and his family’s famous political surname as key to wooing Hispanic voters.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- TCU Falls To Coastal Carolina 4-1
- LGBT Community Getting Armed
- Fireworks Stand To Open In McKinney Neighborhood
- Briles Officially Out At Baylor After Sexual Assault Scandal
- Judge Blocks Planned Sale Of Whitney Houston’s Emmy
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures