Indians Close To Deal With David Murphy
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
CLEVELAND (AP) - A person familiar with the negotiations says the Cleveland Indians are close to signing free-agent outfielder David Murphy to two-year contract.
Murphy, who spent the past seven seasons with the Texas Rangers, must pass a physical before the deal can be completed, the person told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the sides only had a preliminary agreement, said Murphy will have his medical exam later this week.
Murphy batted a career-low .220 with 13 homers and 45 RBIs in 142 games last season. A left-handed hitter with a .275 career average, Murphy can play all three outfield positions. The 32-year-old played 128 games in left field last season, recording 10 assists with just two errors.
The Dallas Morning News and FOXsports.com reported Murphy’s potential deal earlier on Tuesday.
With the Indians, Murphy would likely platoon in right field with Drew Stubbs, who is eligible for arbitration, or Ryan Raburn.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dirk’s Groove Has Mavs Back In Playoffs
- Whole Foods Recalls Croissants Over Undeclared Egg
- Judge Says American Can’t End Retiree Benefits Yet
- Suspects In Fatal Hit & Run Captured In Florida
- 22-Year-Old Accused Of Driving Car Into Crowd Outside Bar
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures