Texas Has A Prince!
Sports Fan Insider
Prince Fielder IS A TEXAS RANGER!
Read it, absorb it, love it.
When the news broke Wednesday night that Texas traded Ian Kinsler for Prince, the Metroplex EXPLODED with excitement and praise for the embattled Jon Daniels.
Let’s examine the pros and cons of the blockbuster:
- Rangers get a power bat (and a lefty at that) IMAGINE what Prince does to right field in Arlington.
- They fill the hole at first base.
- The Profar-Elvis problem is no more. Jurickson will move to 2B, and fan-fans can dream of an electric middle infield for years to come.
- Compensation: Prince for Kinsler? Prince for Kinsler?? Seriously- PRINCE FOR KINSLER???????
- Confidence in #Team JD- Jon Daniels DESPERATELY needed this. After “running off” Nolan Ryan, JD had to win back public support. This does it.
- The Rangers worked around a subpar FA class. Besides Cano (too pricey) and Brian McCann, there was a lack of offensive solutions in this year’s group.
- He’s only 29 and while rotund, he’s durable. Prince has missed only one game in the last last five years.
- Star Power! The Rangers lacked it when Josh Hamilton left. They just got some back.
- The contract. Prince is owed $24 million annually through the 2020 season- ouch.
- Power Decline: Not only have the HR numbers dropped the last three years, so have the RBI’s, walks, slugging % and OPS (whatever that is!).
- Fielder had a HORRIFIC postseason which saw him drive in ZERO runs in TWO postseason series
- Why would the Tigers do this? The answer seems to be money. Prince just made $23 mill (highest on the team). The Tigers payroll was the 4th highest in baseball and they need to resign their studs. Max Scherzer is a year away from free agency, Miggy Cabrera is two away AND Justin Verlander’s salary increases from 20 to 28 mill in 2015.
That’s it, i’m done with the cons!!
Questions remain: Do the Rangers owe anything else in the deal? Is there something about Prince we don’t know about? Will this end the pursuit of Brian McCann, Robinson Cano (too expensive anyway) or Shin-Soo Choo? Should we now forget a Mike Napoli return to the Metroplex?
Issues for another day.
Right now, let’s grab a cup of kool-aid and celebrate. Ian Kinsler has been traded for PRINCE FIELDER. The Rangers are better and MUCH more exciting.
Today is a HUGE WIN for fan-fans. Hope has been restored as a contender, and for Team JD.
(2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels Talk Baseball Live From Surprise
- Fantasy Baseball Preview: Starting Pitcher
- VIDEO: Devin Harris Is Harris ‘Bueller’
- Five Things: NCAA Tournament Bids And Wichita’s Perfection
- Mavs Hand Pacers Their 4th Straight Loss
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures