Report: Former Rangers DH Berkman Leaning Towards Retirement
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – After a less than memorable stint in Texas, free agent slugger Lance Berkman is leaning towards retirement, according to Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh-Tribune Review.
Sawchik reports that the Pirates were interested in Berkman, but his agent suggested Berkman might retire.
After signing a one-year deal worth $11 million, Berkman appeared in just 73 games for Texas in 2013. The switch-hitter batted just .242 with six homeruns and 34 RBIs, despite hitting .392 over the season’s first two months.
Berkman was placed on the DL July 7, missing 48 games with left hip inflammation. He appeared in five games in September, going hitless in 12 at bats.
Texas declined a $12 million option on Berkman, making the 37-year-old a free agent.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- No. 5 Baylor Pushes Forward After Waterlogged Win
- Cowboys Look To Get Past Rival Giants
- NFL Listen Live Week 12: NY Giants vs Dallas Cowboys
- Norfolk State Tops Texas Southern 76-66
- North Texas holds off Florida International 17-14
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures